Wednesday, September 30, 2009

Inspiration...


Two years ago I was flying to California for a sales meeting. At the airport in Phoenix, I was staring at the monitor, checking my flight info. I always look at people's shoes (it's programmed into me at this point) and I noticed some shiny new Vans right next to me. I looked up at the wearer and as he started to walk away, I realized it was John Cardiel. I wanted to talk to him but he was already gone and I was in airport introvert mode. I have always regretted not speaking to him that day. Last week at Interbike, I was talking to someone and sure enough, John Cardiel walked right past me again. I excused myself and chased him down. I told him the airport story and told him how happy I was to get a second chance to meet him. He was cool as can be and we talked about bike stuff for quite awhile. He told me about some old school looking stems that he was psyched on and walked me over to where he saw them. My heart was racing as we approached the Sidewall Distribution booth, where he pointed out the Hoffman stem he was talking about. A couple feet away in the same showcase, I showed him the new Snafu stem I designed (I seriously would have shit if that had been the one he was into--it's based on an old stem design from the 70s). He said he liked it, which was good enough for me. I didn't take a photo of the stem but it needs a couple revisions and you know I'll post pics when I get it. Anyway, John Cardiel. Yeah. Watch that video if you have some time. I guarantee you will be inspired.

No comments: