Wednesday, February 24, 2010

the BMX guy

I was at my favorite Indian restaurant today and I saw a girl from high school. I stopped and said "hi" and the girl across from her, whom I didn't recognize, asked my name. I told her and she made the rocking-the-handlebars-back-and-forth-pretending to ride a bike thing and said "yeah, you were the BMX guy". I said "I have a BMX bike in my van right now". Girl #1 said "really?" and I said "yes...good seeing you" and walked back to my sacred cow vegetarian plate. Felt like 10th grade again. Not really in a good way. But kind of. I take pride in still being the "BMX guy". Number 22 is yours truly. Plainwell BMX, sophmore year. BMX got you no where with girls back then. Not sure it does now?

2 comments:

jason said...

Absolutely great story that I can relate to 100%! I used to feel weird when aquaintances would identify me as "the BMX guy". It was probably due to my own immaturity. I'm way past that these days and don't mind talking about BMX when random people bring it up to me. Some people even seem to have a certain respect for it which is pretty nice.

Unknown said...

Being remembered as the BMX Guy would be a welcome change for me...Unfortunately, my infamous behavior is what brings me to most minds I grew up with.

I am now in the process of becoming the over-the-hill BMX guy in my cycling circle here in Holland...I'm okay with that! Thanks for the inspiration...