Monday, September 21, 2009

A bridge too far...

So, the bridge at Birdland was even gnarlier than it looked. I'm no architect (obviously) and it showed on Friday when Todd Britton took his freeride MTB to the gap...
Jumping up to the bridge wasn't an issue, but it was high enough that it robbed all speed and there was no way the gap was happening. Turbo did manage to jump off the side of the bridge (on the high side) and almost nose-clip jumping back into the take off without incident, but it was really sketchy. No offense to Todd, but I didn't want a MTB to be the first over the gap. I did some lumberjack work and relocated the bridge, lowered it a bit and changed the angle. It's easier to get on and keep speed, but the gap is even further now. It started raining last night as my buddy Dave and I sized it up so still no deployments. The bridge does serve as a nice vantage for photos. Here's Jason Burton, floating blissfully over set one...
I stumbled across this on TCU, from the Toledo park. This park saw quite a few Cobras sessions a few years ago...

Highland Jam 2009 from Perspectives BMX on Vimeo.

If you've been there, you know how crazy some of these gaps and lines are. Last year I was there and watched an older Mailman on a cheap mountain bike ride straight off that stupid drop-off pyramid (should have a down-side but it just drops off--you can see it in this clip) and totally eat shit. I asked him if he was okay and his reply was "I should have studied the course better". Indeed.

No comments: