Tuesday, October 20, 2009

something from nothing


I know this just looks like a bunch of weeds but there are remnants of jumps in there. In 1999, my wife (girlfriend then) and I lived in an apt in Kalamazoo with our dog Vinnie. I was hellbent on building some jumps and after a couple failed attempts, I found a spot at the top of a hill, next to the highway, but secluded at the same time. The problem is that there was no trail or flat ground or anything. It was pretty rough, but I cut down little trees and dug through the roots and made a path that led to a jump. I worked on it enough and rode it over and over until I could get enough speed to hit the jump. I built a landing and took it from there. I think there may have been 8 little jumps by the time we moved and they pretty much sucked but the seeds were planted. I look at Birdland now and it started the same way. Two years ago there were a couple jumps and really rough ground you had to crank over to even hit them. Pretty psyched that they are at the point they are now. Fall is my favorite time to ride and I'm glad I'm still able to do so. I look at the photos of me from Sunday and I'm low to the ground and trickless. A little depressing but not half as much as doing what most dudes my age do--I don't even know what that would be. Ha ha.

No comments: