Monday, February 23, 2009

What I see...

...when I look out the window of my house...
That is Birdland. The first set is just to the right of the tree on the right. I've been doing my laps on my mountain bike. It's not necessarily fun, but it is good excercise and I study the jumps as I go. I have a bunch of ideas for upgrades and new lines. Can't wait. I have been riding quite a bit, despite the oppressive weather and work schedule of late. I rode tonight in the barn. I ride out there almost every day that I'm home. I ride my flatland bike, my regular "park" bike (which I took the brakes off and installed my big FBM Apehangers on), my trails Exodus or "The Crippler". The Crippler is my old PW Moto, which I built up with front brakes and a super sloppy Odyssey freecoaster. The freecoaster has so much play you can't even reliably pedal forward. You have to cautiously apply forward pressure until the driver engages and you can pedal forward. It is totally counter-intuitive. I've eaten shit on this bike quite a few times. Once, just coming out of a 180 from fakie, I totally ghost pedalled into the ground and bounced my face. Tonight, I was just airing some fakies to do roll backs to the bank ramp and hung up front wheel. I could have corrected this easily with a forward pedal against the freewheel, but with the dead-drive of the freecoaster, my front end dropped and flopped. Full back impact with a little head dribbler as well. Not really that bad but it sucks to land on your back and it always sucks to hit your head, no matter how hard the impact.
MTV has a bunch of awesome shows on Sunday night now. The new Rob Dyrdek show, Fantasy Factory, is super good. Nitro Circus is just crazy. I don't understand what Travis Pastrana is all about. He's so talented and seemingly good at everything he does--I just don't get the death wish thing. The episode I saw tonight he is riding a free-ride mountain bike and getting down, BMX style. Very impressive, but a couple clips (or maybe the next episode) later, he literally is one half second from dieing in a base-jumping stunt.
The show I can't get my mind around is "How's Your News?". I won't go into it, but if you've seen it, you know what I'm talking about. Not sure what to think about that at all...

1 comment:

bk said...

how's your news? is a well-intentioned show being marketed to a crowd that will enjoy it for the wrong reasons. HYN was actually a documentary first, which I suggest checking out. Dyrdek's show is just annoying, and I don't know how Pastrana hasn't died yet.