Monday, August 11, 2008

Steinbeck


John Steinbeck wrote some real good books. It's been a long time since I've actually finished a book. Shit, it's been a long time since I've even attempted to read a book. I used to read on planes but now I watch movies and The Office on my Ipod. Technology makes us dumb. Of all the Steinbeck classics that I've read, I really like Travels with Charley, a book he wrote later in his career about traveling around the US in his custom-built motorhome with his full-sized poodle.
It was written in the 60s and even then he talked about the homogenization of America. John Steinbeck would puke if he saw how many off ramp Best Buy/Red Lobster/Petsmart/Walmart/Holiday Inn Express set ups and cookie cutter subdivisions there are now...

1 comment:

Unknown said...

Scott - I'm really down with this! Steinbeck is awsome full stop... Without a doubt my favourite author ever. He just speaks so clearly with so much power... youre right, we should read more.