Monday, August 18, 2008

Olympic madness



BMX racing has become something weird and very jock-like. I'm not sure what to think of it any more. As a matter of fact, I don't think of it very often. Racing is what it was all about when I was younger. I still like a lot about the way it was, but the tracks are mostly better now, save for the continuous roller roundness and paved turns. Clipless pedals are really what ruined it in my book. My opinion isn't important. I'm sure I will race again. I love hauling ass around the track, that's for sure. The "sport" part of BMX has been trying to get involved in the Olympics since the 80s. Much like everything else with BMX racing, it's just kinda stayed the same the whole time, but something happened somewhere with someone and now it's in the Olympics. Weird, but cool.
I saw a TV ad a while back and it made it look good. We'll see this week. Olympic BMX qualifying airs tomorrow night and the finals are on Wednesday. Paul Smith is having the party--that's in Minneapolis, in case you were confused. Todd Britton designed the shirt (that's his kid modeling it). Well done.

No comments: